Hunting and target shooting are among the safest of all sports. Part of the reason is that young and new shooters are introduced properly by responsible adults. The following 10 rules for firearm safety are passed along from shooter to shooter and keep us all safe in the field. Please join us in passing this tradition along.
1. Always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.
2. Firearms should be unloaded when not actually in use.
3. Don`t rely on your gun`s "Safety".
4. Be sure of your target and what`s beyond it.
5. Use correct ammunition.
6. If your gun fails to fire when the trigger is pulled, handle with care!
7. Always wear eye and ear protection when shooting.
8. Be sure the barrel is clear of obstructions before shooting.
9. Don`t alter or modify your gun, and have guns serviced regularly.
10. Learn the mechanical and handling characteristics of the firearm you are using.
Firearms Safety Training
Every state and province has some hunter education training requirements in order to hunt within their jurisdiction. To find out more about hunter education classes in your area, visit the International Hunter Education Association (IHEA).
The National Rifle Association (NRA) also has a number of training programs ranging from introductory firearms handling to expert marksmanship. Go to the NRA education site.